As you sit down to enjoy your holiday today, we at Mossy Creek Soap would like to say THANK YOU for being our customer. Thanksgiving is a truly American Holiday with food, fun and FOOTBALL. There is a lot more to the Holiday than you might know.
Here’s a few historical facts about Thanksgiving,
- The first Thanksgiving was a 3 day harvest feast in the Plymouth colony in 1621
- It was attended by 53 Colonists and 90 Wampanoag
- The feast featured Turkey, Corn, Pheasant, Deer, Shellfish and Pumpkin.
- The original holiday was most liking during the early fall in September or October during harvest time instead of late November.
- There is some speculation about whether the Wampanoag Indians were actually invited, it is said to believe the Wampanoag Indians thought they were being attack and crashed the celebration.
- The actual holiday was not celebrated until 1827 when a writer Sarah Josepha Hale (Mother of Thanksgiving); rallied support for a Holiday.
- It was originally reserved for a day of prayer and fasting
- Before 1827, it had to be declared every year by the president and it was Thomas Jefferson who refused to declare it a holiday because he strongly believed in separation of church and state.
- Finally in 1863, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a Federal Holiday for the 4th Thursday of November.
As you sit down to enjoy your own feast; remember and be thankful for the reasons behind it. We are thankful for you and sincerely want you to enjoy your day today.
ENJOY YOUR DAY!